GROUP BY every 6th row

silkfire

Hi all, does anyone know how to perform this, or if it's even possible? I need every 6th row to be a GROUP BY of the following 5 rows, they all share a common group_id so that's what the GROUP BY is performed on.

1. GROUP BY group_id

2. item #1

3. item #2

4. item #3

5. item #4

6. item #5

7. GROUP BY group_id

8. item #6

... and so on

What part is it you don't understand? The first row is a GROUP BY, like a summary of the five following rows, which share the same group_id. First comes a summary row, then 5 rows, and it repeats until all rows matching are retrieved.

To perform a special action every time the 6th item is reached (and the first item), you could do something like this:

<?php
//CREATE AN ARRAY OF VALUES TO EXPERIMENT WITH
$value_array = array();
for($i=1; $i<=15; $i++) {
$value_array[] = rand(1,500);
}

//LOOP THROUGH THE TEST VALUES
for($i=0; $i < count($value_array); $i++) {
if($i%6 == 0) { $groupBy = true;  }  //for every 6th item, we need to group by (includes the first item)
else          { $groupBy = false; }

print ($groupBy) ? "<div>$i: Group By - $value_array[$i]</div>" : "<div>$i: $value_array[$i]</div>";
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.