copy() function help

wchamber22

Hello freaks,

I am currently creating a member system that will place a default handle image into a newly registered members file.

I have used the mkdir function create the directory successfully based on the members ID, but I can't get the copy function to work.

Code:

mkdir("memberFiles/$memberID", 0755); 
$old = 'images/defaultlogo.jpg';
$new = 'memberFiles/$memberID/logo.jpg';
copy($old, $new);

Error Message:

Warning: copy(memberFiles/$memberID/logo.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Lastly, this folder is created to store members files.

Read the error message carefully, and you will find that the variable name is in it ($memberID).

Warning: copy(memberFiles/$memberID/logo.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Variables are not interpreted inside single-quote marks. Use double-quotes to assign the the "old" name:

$new = "memberFiles/$memberID/logo.jpg";

The error message could be a little clearer; since it shows only one of the two parameters, it lead me to believe that you had them backwards. But, I suspect the error indicates that the directory "$memberID" does not exist and therefore you cannot copy a file into it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.