Problem with spanish characters while using Google API, PHP, MySql

sureshv120

Hello Sir/Maam,

I need some help in a problem I am having with spanish special characters. A brief summary of what I am doing first. I have written a PHP script which fetches data from Google Spreadsheet using Zend Google PHP API. This data is then put into MySql database.

$row=$Col->getText(); //getText is the Google API that returns the value in the row.

print "$row"; // I print the content

But the problem is that some spanish characters such as ñer appear as ñer. Later on in the PHP code I go on to save these values in MySql. And even in the tables the same problem.Don't know where the problem is.

I tried various different things such as edit the PHP file and add:

mbstring.language              = Neutral      ; Set default language to Neutral(UTF-8) (default)

mbstring.internal_encoding      = UTF-8        ; Set default internal encoding to UTF-8

mbstring.encoding_translation  = On            ;  HTTP input encoding translation is enabled

mbstring.http_input            = auto          ; Set HTTP input character set dectection to auto

mbstring.http_output            = UTF-8        ; Set HTTP output encoding to UTF-8

mbstring.detect_order          = auto          ; Set default character encoding detection order to auto

mbstring.substitute_character  = none          ; Do not print invalid characters

default_charset                = UTF-8        ; Default character set for auto content type header

mbstring.func_overload  = 7 ; All non-multibyte-safe functions are overloaded with the mbstring alternatives

Add in the below in MySql

init_connect='SET collation_connection = utf8_unicode_ci; SET NAMES utf8;'

character-set-server=utf8

collation-server=utf8_unicode_ci

skip-character-set-client-handshake

Change Database and Table properties

ALTER DATABASE db_name

CHARACTER SET utf8

DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8

COLLATE utf8_general_ci

DEFAULT COLLATE utf8_general_ci

;

ALTER TABLE tbl_name

DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8

COLLATE utf8_general_ci

;

Call SETNAMES etc just after mysql open connection.

$q="SET NAMES 'utf8'";

$r=mysql_query($q);

mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET utf8");

But nothing seems to work. Please help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.