Rerouting Domain

N-Bomb(Nerd)

Do you already own a domain?

Yes. I own my domain. However, I don't know how to tie it up with my hosting. I don't even know the technical terms here and this is upsetting me quite a bit that I can't even accurately describe what I want to achieve.

I have a VPS. There's no control panel (like cpanel). It's running Linux. I have 7 IP addresses. I've looked through the hosting company control panel and there isn't anything about dns. It's just a basic Linux install and I manually put Apache on there.

There wouldn't be anything about DNS at the VPS service.

You're renting a domain name from DomainNamesInc.

You're renting a VPS with 7 IPs from VPSInc.

You need to call DomainNamesInc and say "please route my domain name to this IP which points to my VPSInc server."

There wouldn't be anything about DNS at the VPS service.

You're renting a domain name from DomainNamesInc.

You're renting a VPS with 7 IPs from VPSInc.

You need to call DomainNamesInc and say "please route my domain name to this IP which points to my VPSInc server."

I can edit my domain and set the name servers myself, but what do I put there? Just the ip address of my vps?

You can set the name servers?  That's not the right word.

Ok, this is what happens:

The domain registrars maintain databases of "this domain points to this IP."

Those database form the domain name service.  There are master DNS servers and regional ones, you don't really need to know how that network is set up.

When a user types "www.yoursite.com" into his browser, his computer checks the local DNS server to determine what IP he should use.

So what you need to do is edit where the domain name resolves (or "points") to.  If you're editing something that says "DNS Server" you're probably editing where your computer looks for new addresses.

You can set the name servers?  That's not the right word.

Ok, this is what happens:

The domain registrars maintain databases of "this domain points to this IP."

Those database form the domain name service.  There are master DNS servers and regional ones, you don't really need to know how that network is set up.

When a user types "www.yoursite.com" into his browser, his computer checks the local DNS server to determine what IP he should use.

So what you need to do is edit where the domain name resolves (or "points") to.  If you're editing something that says "DNS Server" you're probably editing where your computer looks for new addresses.

Here's what I'm presented with when I click on edit dns location:

4Ki6F.png

Is that what I need?

"Name Server" should be "1and1 name server" then you'll have another option where you can set the IP address for your domain.  The 1and1 help file has more.

I followed this and my domain is now pointing to my VPS hosting. Thank you. :)

--

While I have everyone here: Let's say that I want to host multiple domains from the same VPS hosting. How would I achieve this? I'm kind of confused on exactly what a name sever is or exactly how to create or use one. Like I said I have multiple IP addresses that came with my VPS. Is there any decent tutorials explaining this? I've tried googling, but I'm not coming up with any good results..

Seriously. If you can't do this, you shouldn't be running a VPS.

It's my first VPS. That's kind of harsh.  :'( I've always had shared web hosting.

Was a little harsh, but also very true. You should have done research before you purchased a vps, you could have done damage to the server configuration. But, I'm glad you got it sorted.

While I have everyone here: Let's say that I want to host multiple domains from the same VPS hosting. How would I achieve this? I'm kind of confused on exactly what a name sever is or exactly how to create or use one. Like I said I have multiple IP addresses that came with my VPS. Is there any decent tutorials explaining this? I've tried googling, but I'm not coming up with any good results..

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/vhosts/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.