Load Upload Form to Itself?

doubledee

In the past I always combine my PHP Form Processing Code with my HTML Forms in one script, and when the User clicks "Submit", the Form/Page reloads itself.

Is it possible to load an Upload Form to itself?

Something like this...

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="" method="post">

Debbie

Yes, it's possible. And from my point of view it's the preferred method. Because if something is wrong in the input data, I can show all data entered and give to user a chance to change it.

When data is correct I can process it and do anything I wish. If I need, I can root to another script or do something here, in this script.

You can omit the action and it will default to itself, however most people will explicitly set the action programmatically using a variable.  Of the available methods, there is PHP_SELF, REQUEST_URI and SCRIPT_NAME.  I'll leave it to you to investigate the differences between those options, but one that is frequently the best choice is to use:

</pre>
<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="<?php%20echo%20%24_SERVER%5B'SCRIPT_NAME'%5D;%20?>" method="post">
<

Yes, it's possible. And from my point of view it's the preferred method. Because if something is wrong in the input data, I can show all data entered and give to user a chance to change it.

When data is correct I can process it and do anything I wish. If I need, I can root to another script or do something here, in this script.

I like to do that too.

Debbie

You can omit the action and it will default to itself, however most people will explicitly set the action programmatically using a variable.  Of the available methods, there is PHP_SELF, REQUEST_URI and SCRIPT_NAME.  I'll leave it to you to investigate the differences between those options, but one that is frequently the best choice is to use:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']; ?>" method="post">

Why can't I just do...

action=""

That is what I have always done in the past.

Debbie

I said you could omit it, by which I meant you could leave it empty or not include the action at all.  They are essentially the same, but as far as picking one or the other, using action="" is probably better, as it will validate while omitting the action entirely probably will not.

The main reason not to use action="" is that it triggers "magic behavior" in the browsers.  All the main web browsers handle this situation fine, and redirect, however, there are fringe browsers used on some mobile phones that are known not to behave in the way you desire.  So it is better to explicitly provide a uri, if you want to maximize your compatibility across all user agents.  Whether you care about that or not, is up to you.

I said you could omit it, by which I meant you could leave it empty or not include the action at all.  They are essentially the same, but as far as picking one or the other, using action="" is probably better, as it will validate while omitting the action entirely probably will not.

The main reason not to use action="" is that it triggers "magic behavior" in the browsers.  All the main web browsers handle this situation fine, and redirect, however, there are fringe browsers used on some mobile phones that are known not to behave in the way you desire.  So it is better to explicitly provide a uri, if you want to maximize your compatibility across all user agents.  Whether you care about that or not, is up to you.

Yes, I want the best code I can write.

So it sounds like you think this is best...

action="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']; ?>"

(I know that PHP_SELF is a no-no!)

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.