More Characters

Neublet

First forgive me, I do not know if this is the correct forum for this question. I did not write the code but I have a feeling if its possible to correct it, then its probably coding.

My question is, is there anyway to post larger News articles to the homepage. I am trying to post an article that a friend sent from another site onto mine (giving the other site proper credit). But the article is apparently too big. I do not know how many characters the article is, or what the character limit is set by Nuke 8.0.

Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks..oh and congrats on apparently being the only active PHP forums :-S I have tried a few others and they haven't made posts since 2011. Anyways thanks in advance for any and all help.

we would need to know what the set up is on your system, you need to really investigate the database and find out what the details are on the column that contains the articles, its likely to be text but it will have a character limit set on it, and that is mostly likely what you need to change (increase).

I dont have any personal experience of Nuke 8, so cannot do anymore than to suggest a possible scenario. google character counter, there is a few online that you can dump text into.

theres no need to react like that.

react like what?

On to your response. I do not know how to do what you have said I need to do. I "attempted" to get into mySQL and poke around, but I do not know what I am looking at or what I need to change. I understand you don't know 8.0 but could you maybe tell me what I would look for in another version of php (maybe they are the same). I will do my best to provide you with what information you need, please just tell me what information you need. Thank you for the swift response.

-Dan

react like what?

That statement was directed at a post which has since been deleted, not at anything you said.

On to your problem, unless someone who know's how Nuke works can direct you more specifically, essentially you need to find out where in the database it is storing these articles. When you figure that out, find out what the column type is and change it if necessary.  It should probably be a TEXT type which should allow for a fairly large article.  If yours doesn't fit there are bigger types, but it might be better to split it into multiple articles and link them together.

Finding the field will just take some time poking around the database, or finding some documentation somewhere that will tell you.

Ok so I looked in the mysql. This is what I found (not too familiar with looking around in a database so I tried to walk on eggshells).

I found the stories were stored: nuke_topics, nuke_stories in these 2 places. However I didn't see anyway to increase the character limit.

I also looked in nuke_bbconfig and I saw this:

(column) config_name (type) varchar(255) (value) session_length

(column) config_value (type) varchar(255) (value) 3600

Not sure if increasing the 3600 will fix it or if this is for something totally different.

I would imagine that the articles are more likely in nuke_articles than in nuke_topics. That table should have names that make sense, an ID column for identifer, perhaps some other linking ID column to topics, and at least one thats might be story or article. it will likely be a TEXT,TINYTEXT,MEDIUMTEXT,LONGTEXT type, if you find it you should be able to increase its length. the data type shown in your example is varchar and has a (255) character limit, the 3600 is actually the value stored in the database. what you are looking at is 2 column table with config_name and config value as the 2 cols, and this is 1 row, with values session_length and 3600 (its safe to assume this is 1 of many pairs of values that set up the config of the site).

it is possible that config table has an entry for article length and it is set there instead, but i just dont know Nuke

I would really like to thank you guys for all of your help. I was unable to find a nuke_articles section. I decided I would take a screenshot of the database and show it to you guys (hopefully this will save you guys the time).

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Gypht/Computer/Nuke1.png

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Gypht/Computer/Nuke2.png

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Gypht/Computer/Nuke3.png

I really hope this helps, and btw you guys are quick at responding..i really thought I would wait days for someone to tell me to buzz off lol.

It must have but I did respond too it. I believe you told me to modify the hometext or bodytext to medium or something like that. But I couldn't figure out how to change that. Sorry but I am out of town for a few weeks. I will update when I get back. This is hard to do from a cellphone lol.

mmm well not really i tend to build things in php that i need as i go. I don't care for them(cms systems) really, much prefer making code, however that said, i am often re inventing the wheel and its never quite a perfect circle when i do it either!!

most cms out there which are popular are pretty good, but nothing covers everything, if you know what i mean.

only one i have ever used to make a site is wordpress, i have maintained sites which use drupal. thats about it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.