PHP email script / how do I 'include()

leszer

Trying to use an include() in a script to send an email, not working out.  Basically I have a pretty drastic page I've formatted out and I want it to be shipped out in an email in that format.  I thought it would be simple to get an include in a php code to email but the email works..  and doesn't have anything in it. 

I've tried with and without quotes, any help appreciated.

<html>
<body>

<? 
    //change this to your email. 
    $to = "me@me.com"; 
    $from = "me@me.com"; 
    $subject = "stuff"; 
$message="<?php include("another.php"); ?>"
    $headers  = "From: $from\r\n"; 
    $headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n"; 

//options to send to cc+bcc 
    //$headers .= "Cc: [email]maa@p-i-s.cXom[/email]"; 
    //$headers .= "Bcc: [email]email@maaking.cXom[/email]"; 

// now lets send the email. 
    mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers); 

echo "Message has been sent....!"; 
?>

</html>
</body>

Ieszer,

Your extra php delimiters are getting in the way.  My IDE shows a syntax error... I'm surprised it ran at all...

Try:

$message = include("another.php"); 

echo $message;

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

When you include a PHP file, it has the exact same effect as copying and pasting that PHP file directly into your code.  You cannot include a file in the middle of a line like you're trying to do.  What does the email generation file do?  You should wrap it in a function which returns a string, then simply include the file at the top of your script, and call the function when you need it.

You can't put a PHP block inside another PHP block. You already put an opening tag for PHP processing right here

<? 
    //change this to your email.

(Although you should NOT be using short tags!)

So, when the PHP parser get here

$message="<?php include("another.php"); ?>"

It's going to be confused because the PHP parser was already initiated. However, you *could* do this:

$message = include("another.php");

Although that can work I doubt it will work for you with your current file. An include file can be configured to "return" a value, but it is not very common so I doubt you configured it in that way. You would need to build up the content in that file as a variable, and then at the end do a

return $email_content;

You're saying I have to go wrap my whole another.php script in a function to be returned in the email script? 

I was hoping for a way around that because the another.php script is a file which is including the scripts of 3 other pages and formatting them into one style.  Would I then have to go back to those files and wrap them in functions also?

Yes it does and that worked perfectly.  So glad I don't have to go back and nest all that in a function.

Thank you very much!

What, exactly, does another.php do?  Does it render an entire web page?  If that's the case, you may be able to do something like:

ob_start();
include('another.php');
$message = ob_get_clean();

include files should not really be done like this.  include files should contain functionality that your page needs, like a database class or a function that generates the emails.  If you start making include files that indiscriminately spit data out to the user's screen, you run into...this exact issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.