semi-autogenerate variables? can I?

turpentyne

I'm sure this is possible, I'm just not sure how. I have a query for queries from a category_table in the database. When it pulls to the page, I want to loop through each row found and do a query "where category = 1etc" to a second_table for records matching, then print the results of the second query out. Or is there a way to pull the queries from query1 through the while statement that contains query 2? I've gotten this far and I'm getting this error: Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /home/workshop/public_html/workshopsb.php on line 10

which is a little confusing, because I had nothing on line 10. Moved things around to see where that line was, but it always says line 10?

<?php
include("dbx.php"); 

$query1 = mysql_query("select * from tbl_cat");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query1)) {
	echo $row['cat_id']."<br>x<br>";

$query2 = "select * from tbl_workshops where category={$row['cat_id']}";
@$result_all = mysql_query($query2);

$catid = {$row['cat_id']}
$catname = {$row['cat_name']}

echo $catname." Workshops";

while ($c_row = mysql_fetch_array($result_all)){

$story=$c_row['workshop_description'];

?>
	<td>
	<b><?= $c_row['workshop_title'] ?></b><br /><br />
	<?php echo implode(" ", array_slice(preg_split("/\s+/", $story), 0, 100));?>....<br /><br />
	<a href="workshop.php?id=<?= $c_row['workshop_id'] ?>">Read more and Register</a>

<br /><br />
	<div class="line-separator"></div>
	<br /><br />

<?
	$catid = "";
	$catname = "";

} //end while
}
  ?>

Don't suppress errors.  Remove the '@' symbol and I'll bet you get an error for this line.  If that is the case then it's probably an issue with your query.  Post the new error first.

@$result_all = mysql_query($query2);

ah... ok, I've added in errors, and added the two colons batwimp found. I'm still getting the same error, though?

<?php
include("dbx.php"); 

$query1 = "select * from tbl_cat";
$result_cats = mysql_query($query1) or die(mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result_cats)) {

echo $row['cat_id']."<br>x<br>";

$query_selectall = "select * from tbl_workshops where category={$row['cat_id']}";
$result_all = mysql_query($query_selectall) or die(mysql_error());
$catid = {$row['cat_id']};
$catname = {$row['cat_name']};

echo $catname." Workshops";

while ($c_row = mysql_fetch_array($result_all)){

$story=$c_row['workshop_description'];

?>
	<td>
	<b><?= $c_row['workshop_title'] ?></b><br /><br />
	<?php echo implode(" ", array_slice(preg_split("/\s+/", $story), 0, 100));?>....<br /><br />
	<a href="workshop.php?id=<?= $c_row['workshop_id'] ?>">Read more and Register</a>

<br /><br />
	<div class="line-separator"></div>
	<br /><br />

<?
	$catid = "";
	$catname = "";

} //end while
}
  ?>

wait.. gah! Hold that thought a moment. I wasn't dropping the file in the right folder.

I was

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/workshop/public_html/workshopsb.php on line 15

I took those out, and so far it looks like it works... sometimes its the simplest damned mistakes!

Shouldn't these lines be...

<b><?php echo " {$c_row['workshop_title']}" ?></b><br /><br />
	<a href="workshop.php?id=<?php echo "{$c_row['workshop_id']}" ?>">Read more and Register</a>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.