Trim whitespace from uploaded file

petenaylor

Hi all

I need to remove the spaces in an uploaded file. I have tried str_replace and trim etc... but it doesn't work.

Here is my code:

move_uploaded_file($_FILES['image']['tmp_name'][$i], WEB_UPLOAD."/images/galleries/g".$gid."/".$_FILES['image']['name'][$i]) or die("Error uploading image ");

Thanks

Pete

Eventhough putting all of that information on one line will work, it is a good practice, in the beginning/intermediate stages of programming, to break it all apart into variables.  This will make it much easier for you to debug.

It doesn't hurt to space out your concatenations either...well, it may increase filesize, but I have a feeling your script isn't that big to begin with.

$filename = $_FILES['image']['tmp_name'][$i];
$dest = WEB_UPLOAD . "/images/galleries/g" . $gid . "/" . $_FILES['image']['name'][$i];
move_uploaded_file($file, $dest) or die("Error uploading image ");

Now it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out where to use str_replace.

Isn't it more professional/neater code?

There is nothing neat or professional about the code below.

move_uploaded_file($_FILES['image']['tmp_name'][$i], WEB_UPLOAD."/images/galleries/g".$gid."/".$_FILES['image']['name'][$i]) or die("Error uploading image ");

Professional ... and neat... code would be readable.  The above code would be fine the way it is if you didn't want to strip the whitespace, but you do.

Even though a professional coder may look at move_up.....  and str_repl... and realize what's going on, you still have an abundance of single quotes, concatenation dots, slashes, and plenty of other things that could accidentally be deleted upon debug.

Zane, are you saying we should or shouldn't make everything on one line?

I'm not saying to NEVER put everything on one line.  My point is, that you came to a forum asking where to put str_replace in your own code (I assume it's your own code at least).  There's is nothing neat about having no clue where to put that function.

Take what I said and use your best judgement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.