ensuring there is input in at least 1 of 2 fields

peppericious

I have 2 fields, one for Mother's mobile, the other for Father's mobile. I want to ensure that at least one of the 2 fields contains a number. This is what I have:

<?php
      if(!isset($_POST['guardian1_mobile']) && !isset($_POST['guardian2_mobile'])) { // no number entered in either field
        $errors[] = 'You must enter a mobile number in at least one of the Guardian1 or Guardian2 Mobile fields.';
      } else {
        // if Mother mobile
        if(!is_numeric($_POST['guardian1_mobile']) || strlen(trim($_POST['guardian1_mobile'])) != 7) { // number must be numeric and exactly 7 digits
            $errors[] = '<strong>Guardian1 mobile</strong>: please enter a 7-digit number without spaces or dashes.';
          } else {
            $_SESSION['guardian1_mobile'] = $_POST['guardian1_mobile'];
          }

// if Father mobile
          if(!is_numeric($_POST['guardian2_mobile']) || strlen($_POST['guardian2_mobile']) != 7) {
            $errors[] = '<strong>Guardian2 mobile</strong>: please enter a 7-digit number without spaces or dashes.';
          } else {
            $_SESSION['guardian2_mobile'] = $_POST['guardian2_mobile'];
          }
      }

However, when I leave both fields blank, errors for the 'else' part of the condition are returned ('Please enter a 7-digit number...'). But it should never get as far as the 'else'....

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my logic in the first line?...

Thanks in advance.

A text field is always set, as defined by isset(), even if it's empty.  You can use the empty function to check that it is set, and has a non-false value.

Excellent, thanks. Changed it all to this and it works perfectly.

<?php
// ensure that at least one of Mother or Father mobile is entered
      if(empty($_POST['mother_mobile']) && empty($_POST['father_mobile'])) {
        $errors[] = 'You must enter a mobile number in at least one of the Mother or Father Mobile fields.';
      } else {
              // if Mother mobile
              if(!empty($_POST['mother_mobile'])) {
                if(!is_numeric($_POST['mother_mobile']) || strlen($_POST['mother_mobile']) != 7) {
                    $errors[] = '<strong>Mother mobile</strong>: please enter a 7-digit number without spaces or dashes.';
                  } else {
                    $_SESSION['mother_mobile'] = $_POST['mother_mobile'];
                  }
              }

// if Father mobile
            if(!empty($_POST['father_mobile'])) {
                if(!is_numeric($_POST['father_mobile']) || strlen($_POST['father_mobile']) != 7) {
                  $errors[] = '<strong>Father mobile</strong>: please enter a 7-digit number without spaces or dashes.';
                } else {
                  $_SESSION['father_mobile'] = $_POST['father_mobile'];
                }
            }
      }

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.