MySql injection Clean Strings

richiejones24

I currently use the following function to clean form inputs to prevent MySql injection,

Does this function do enough to prevent MySql injection? is there anything i have missed?

<?php

//Function to sanitize values received from the form. Prevents SQL injection
function clean($str) {
	$str = @trim($str);
	if(get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
		$str = stripslashes($str);
	}
	return mysql_real_escape_string($str);
}

?>

CKPD, stripslashes isn't a security measure, it is a function used to remove slashes when magic quotes is set on, if you don't remove the added slashes, then you run mysql_real_escape_string, you will have double slashes on your single quotes, making them still insecure..

so in many cases you NEED strip slashes..

however, you don't need to clean expected floats and expected integers, type casting does that more efficiently than anything else..

for example..

$id = (int) $_GET['article_id'];

If you want this code to be portable, leave the check of get_magic_quotes_gpc() and the call to stripslashes() if magic quotes is on in there. The one thing you might add would be a check of the PHP version. If it's 5.4.0 or greater, you can bypass the get_magic_quotes_gpc() check altogether because magic_quotes_gpc() has been removed as of 5.4.0.

If you want this code to be portable, leave the check of get_magic_quotes_gpc() and the call to stripslashes() if magic quotes is on in there. The one thing you might add would be a check of the PHP version. If it's 5.4.0 or greater, you can bypass the get_magic_quotes_gpc() check altogether because magic_quotes_gpc() has been removed as of 5.4.0.

Hence the reason why I'm not fond of it as I've known it was going out the door for a while.

@RussellReal - I forgot why I ever used to use it but you've hit the nail on the head. Cheers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.