Loop Delay

Anon-e-mouse

Evening,

In simple, I have a script that loops through members when submitted and sends them a confirmation email for an event. However I don't want to send 200 emails one after the other because Google would get very upset.

Thus! I attempted to use sleep() but that didn't function as I thought it would inside the loop. Causing the entire thing to wait for the amount of seconds times the result set. So. Whats would you suggest?

Thanks.

Make sure your host/ISP knows you plan on doing this, and that the emails are solicited. Your host may even have something pre-installed to help you with this.

I'd approach this with CRON. Have a database table called `emails` or something, using a unique ID. Store the email's body in there. Create another table called `email_que` or something. Store the user's ID (to link back to their email) and the email's ID.

You'd then create a PHP script that CRON would call every 30mins/hour/whatever. This script would grab the oldest 50/100/500/etc. rows in `email_que` and perform the mail function, removing the rows after completion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.