Open source project

project1

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read my post. To try and understand what I would like to do please read on....

What:

A database for categories such as Cars, Cell/Mobile phones and so forth

Why:

For webmaster or even individuals doing school projects or anything a like, creating an in depth catalog of categories either takes a very long time and resources or lots of cash. My idea is to build a database which will concise of a main category divided into as many sub-categories as needed, and if possible a description for any given item in that list, for example cell/mobile phones -> Apple -> iphone -> iphone 3 -> image and description. I hope not only will it help users find information on products or even animals and so on, the data will be downloadable, so a user can decide to download a main category, or drill down as many levels as they like, or just pick out the description.

How:

At first I hope to build this database from the help of programmers and web designers, the plan will be to build the infrastructure so we can add the data and share it. I also hope while that is in the process to get as many people via forums to help to build the list of categories. 

When:

Once we have something working not only will we host the information and allow the users to download their selection, we will build tools so they integrate the data into their own sites. Not only will this help the webmaster but it will help build the database as each tool will allow end users to report an error or add a new category or item. So for an example you visit a website regarding the sale of DVD's and in the categories you notice "comedy" wasn't in the categories list, so you select the option to suggest a new category and this is posted to our main site for review and if accepted integrated into the database, 

Now:

Ok so this is the part where I ask you nice people to help me anyway you can, either by giving advice as this is my first ever attempt to create an open source project or let me know if you would be interested in helping with this,

Thank you for your time

Terry

Do you mean you want to borrow code?

I'm not a programmer, but working on a database at the moment, I have some code which i hired someone to build. Once I have collected a bit more data my plan is to release it and hopefully

find someone to help take it to the next level.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.