PHP Object-Oriented

angelali

Hello, I have some questions here on PHP Object-Oriented.

I started learning PHP Procedural since some months, and I am doing quite well. I want to start with PHP Object-Oriented now, but the problems, I have not found a good easy readable tutorial on it. I have watched some videos on YouTube, but the way they explained it made me confused. I want to know something from you, if you are an experienced PHP programmer. I want to work on CMS like Drupal, WordPress, Magento  and Prestashop because I have noticed a rise in job availability in these fields in my country.

1/ Is it necessary to know PHP Object-Oriented to work as Drupal, Magento or Prestashop developers? (Note: I have a blog on WordPress, and I have huge experienced on the Dashboard, configurations and so on...)

2/ Can I start learning frameworks like CodeIgniter without learning PHP Object-Oriented?

Thank you.. Perhaps the questions may have not sense for you, but I just want to know your opinions. Please, if you are an experienced programmer, you reply me.

I am still improvng my skills too but I found this guy's video tutorials a really good introduction to OOP -

In answer to your questions

1) Depends what you want to do. To create simple templates on these CMSs you don't really need to know OOP. If however you intend to try and develop new modules you will need to know OOP - in my opinion.

2) I would get a basic understanding of php then start looking at frameworks.

Hope this helps slightly. Sure some of the more experienced will offer more detailed advice.

2/ Can I start learning frameworks like CodeIgniter without learning PHP Object-Oriented?

Sure, but you'll probably be stuck reading documentation and other people's examples to learn.

CodeIgniter's foundation is still based on old legacy code. It doesn't really take advantage of modern OOP practices. However, knowing the basics of OOP will still help make sense of what you're doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.