Inventory script/database

Zhyrios

i'm just having a little bit of a play around making a browser-based text RPG with PHP and mySQL. But when it comes to creating a system where a player can view their inventory, and for that matter -have- items. i just don't know where to begin.

Would i make a seperate database for inventories and have each column in the database be a different inventory slot and then have the value in that field be in reference to an item? like 1 = potion, 2= ether, etc?

with a large amount of items and inventory space for each player i don't want to get started down a long road on the wrong path.

To reiterate, I'm not asking for the code specifically i'm just asking what way I would go about it.

What would be the simplest, least headachey method of such a system?

It's a non-trivial schema, but in general terms, I'd recommend a standard normalized relational database design. 

-items table (one row for each possible item)

-worldItem (a row for an item that actually exists in the world)

-player (row per player)

-playerWorldItem (relates a worldItem to a player/slot)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.