PHP Join Help

zelig

I'm an amateur PHP/mySQL person, trying to learn some more things, and I've hit a snag trying to do something I haven't done before.

Okay, here's what I'm trying to do. I have 3 tables:

Items (which includes `id` as the primary key) and a TON of information about each item.

Shop (which includes `id` as the primary key) and shop name and location.

Sale which has shop_id and item_id.

So, what I'm trying to do is have a form where someone can input in an item name and a shop name and have that item then added to the shop. This is where the Sale table comes into play too, as that's going to house each of the items and what shop it's in.

I currently have the following queries:

$query5 = $db->execute("SELECT id FROM items LEFT JOIN sale ON items.id=sale.item_id");
       $query6 = $db->execute("SELECT id FROM shop LEFT JOIN sale ON shop.id=sale.shop_id");

I have the following form:

if ($name == "") { $errors++; $errorlist .= "Name is required.<br />"; }
       	if ($location == "" ) { $errors++; $errorlist .= "Location is required.<br />"; }
if (!isitem($itemname)) die("That item does not exist."); }

if ($errors == 0) { 
            $query = doquery("INSERT INTO `sale` SET `item_id`=`$item`");
            admindisplay("New Item Added.","Add Items");

$page = <<<END

<b><u>Add Item</u></b><br /><br />
<form action="create_shop.php?do=additem" method="post">
<table width="90%">
<tr><td width="20%">Name:</td><td><input type="text" name="itemname" size="30" maxlength="255" value="" />**Be sure the item is already in the database and matches it IDENTICALLY.</td></tr>
<tr><td width="20%">Location:</td><td><input type="text" name="location" size="30" maxlength="55" value="" /><br /><span class="small">Where is the item obtained (unique shop name, please!)</span></td></tr>
</table>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /> <input type="reset" name="reset" value="Reset" />
</form>

What next steps do I need to take? Am I even on the right path?

Thanks for any and all help anyone provides!! I really appreciate it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.