Split a string - or can you?

ddrake1984

$string = 'ThisText';

$newstring = '';
foreach( $string AS $letter ) {
    $newstring .= ( ctype_upper( $letter ) ? ' ' : '' ) . $letter;
}
$string = trim( $newstring );

Since this will put a space in front of every capital letter, I put the trim on the end to remove the space from the beginning.

rythemton your script unfortunately didnt work. I have this error

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php on line 52

dragon_sa yours worked but only one string worked. there was an error after the first string.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare splitByCaps() (previously declared in C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php:51) in C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php on line 51

my code is:

while(odbc_fetch_row($sqlresult_products))

{

echo "<tr>";

echo "<td><font size=1 face=verdana><b>";

$string = substr($phpresult_vendors,9,-9);

function splitByCaps($string){

return preg_replace('/([a-z0-9])?([A-Z])/','$1 $2',$string);

}

echo splitByCaps($string);

for the purpose of understanding the above script a bit better $phpresult_vendors are 'Products_IngramMicro_Products' 'Products_ExpressData_Products' 'Products_TheAmazingCompany_Products" etc.

you cant have the function in the while loop do it like this

function splitByCaps($string){
  return preg_replace('/([a-z0-9])?([A-Z])/','$1 $2',$string);
}
while(odbc_fetch_row($sqlresult_products))
{
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td><font size=1 face=verdana><b>";
  $data = substr($phpresult_vendors,9,-9);
  echo splitByCaps($data);
}

EDIT: just echoed out the value instead of assigning to another variable to suit your script better

Hmm. Since you can use array reference to check a letter, I thought it would work, but apparently it doesn't. This should work:

$string = 'ThisText';

$newstring = '';
foreach( str_split( $string ) AS $letter ) {
    $newstring .= ( ctype_upper( $letter ) ? ' ' : '' ) . $letter;
}
$string = trim( $newstring );

Personally, I think rythemton's method is better...

Regardless, these forums aren't meant for code to be written for you only to jump back with the error.  Research these errors.  This isn't a race to see who can write the perfect code either.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe it was a race, if you look the code was posted only 30secs apart at the start, the OP had attempted to implement the code and we had both corrected the issues he had in our examples, I personally prefer a function over a loop but that is only my preference and I am not saying either way is better, they both reach the same result.

apologies Zane if I offended you, or rythemton and dragon_sa. I did not mean to use and abuse if that is what was seen.

I only asked for some assistance with php and how to do a split in a string.

I also don't expect this to be a race or method comparison. but I have tried to understand the errors and I am having difficulty.

rythemton, your solution worked like a charm, I could kiss you.

dragon_sa, your code inserts a space at the beginning of the string when the first character is uppercase.

I would simplify the regular express to something like /\B(?=[A-Z])/ and make the replacement just a space character.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.