How can I use the "trim" function so that any fields with blank spaces will be..

APD1993

...added to an error log? Currently, my coding is as follows:

Form to gather data:

<html><head><title>Car Accident Report Form</title></head>
<form action="errorlog.php" method="post">
First Name: <br><input type="text" name="name"><br>
Surname:<br> <input type="text" name="surname"><br>
Weeks Since Accident: <br><input type="text" name="weeks"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form> 

Coding for error log:

<html><head><title>Validating Car Accident Report Form Details</title></head>
<?php
$name=$_POST["name"];
$surname=$_POST["surname"];
$age=$_POST["age"];
$weeks=$_POST["weeks"];
$subtime = strftime('%c');
$pass = "The details uploaded are fine<br><br>";
if ((((trim($name)="" && trim($surname)="" && trim($age)="" && trim($weeks)=""))))
{
echo "It seems that you have not entered a value for the Name, Surname, Age or Weeks fields. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Error</b></u><br>The user has not entered any values", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
if (($age<18)&& ($weeks<=1))
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age and number of weeks since the accident. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Error</b></u><br>The user has entered an age that is below 18 and the number of weeks since the accident is equal to or under 1 week!<br>Age entered:" . $age . "<br>Number Of Weeks Since Accident entered:" . $weeks . "<br>Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
} 
else if ($age<18)
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Age Error</b></u><br>The user has entered an age that is below 18!<br>Age entered:" . $age . "<br>Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
else if ($weeks<=1)
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age number of weeks since the accident. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Week Error</b></u><br>The user has entered a number of weeks since the accident that is equal to or under 1 week!<br>Number Of Weeks Since Accident entered:" . $weeks . "<br> Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
else
{
echo $pass;
}
echo "Car Accident Report Form details have been sent<br>";
echo "<a href='readlog.php'>Read Error Log</a>"
?>

</html> 

How can I get it so that if a user presses the space bar in a field, then the trim function sees that there's no white space and then this gets added to the error log?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Run a trim for all $_POST values and then see if they are empty.

$_POST = array_map('trim', $_POST);

$name=$_POST["name"];
$age=$_POST["age"];
$weeks=$_POST["weeks"];

if (!empty($name) && !empty($surname) && !empty($age) && !empty($weeks)) {
// something is empty
}

EDIT: Also, is that really something you need to log?

Run a trim for all $_POST values and then see if they are empty.

$name=$_POST["name"];
$age=$_POST["age"];
$weeks=$_POST["weeks"];

if (!empty($name) && !empty($surname) && !empty($age) && !empty($weeks)) {
// something is empty
}

EDIT: Also, is that really something you need to log?

It's something that I'd want to use, yes :)

BTW, I tried the coding and I have it like this:

<html><head><title>Validating Car Accident Report Form Details</title></head>
<?php
$name=$_POST["name"];
$age=$_POST["age"];
$weeks=$_POST["weeks"];
$subtime = strftime('%c');
$pass = "The details uploaded are fine<br><br>";
if (!empty($name) && !empty($surname) && !empty($age) && !empty($weeks))
{
echo "It seems that you have not entered a value for the Name, Surname, Age or Weeks fields. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Error</b></u><br>The user has not entered any values", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
else if (($age<18)&& ($weeks<=1))
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age and number of weeks since the accident. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Error</b></u><br>The user has entered an age that is below 18 and the number of weeks since the accident is equal to or under 1 week!<br>Age entered:" . $age . "<br>Number Of Weeks Since Accident entered:" . $weeks . "<br>Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
} 
else if ($age<18)
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Age Error</b></u><br>The user has entered an age that is below 18!<br>Age entered:" . $age . "<br>Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
else if ($weeks<=1)
{
echo "It seems that you have entered an invalid age number of weeks since the accident. This has been added to the error log.<br><br>";
error_log("<b><u>Week Error</b></u><br>The user has entered a number of weeks since the accident that is equal to or under 1 week!<br>Number Of Weeks Since Accident entered:" . $weeks . "<br> Time that form was submitted:" . $subtime . "<br><br>", 3, "C:/xampp/htdocs/errorlog.txt");
}
else
{
echo $pass;
}
echo "Car Accident Report Form details have been sent<br>";
echo "<a href='readlog.php'>Read Error Log</a>"
?>

</html> 

And I left all of the fields blank, but I'm presented with this error message: It seems that you have entered an invalid age and number of weeks since the accident. This has been added to the error log.

When I want it to display the first error message. Any idea why this is happening? :)

EDIT: Ah, I got rid of the "!" marks since they were being used for "is not" :)

I wouldn't directly manipulate the $_POST variable. Assign it to a new variable in-case you have some need for the $_POST data later on. When your building large applications with a lot of post data you may need the original.

While I would normally agree, I think manipulating $_POST in this case is acceptable.

The reason is that 1) you probably won't need to preserve white-space at the beginning/end of the data anywhere else and 2) it ensures that if you re-display the form with prepopulated fields that they will be in fact empty, and not full of spaces (which might confuse someone).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.