After doing some research, I think I can do it like this:

<?php
$result    = ibase_query("SELECT blob_value FROM table");
$data      = ibase_fetch_object($result);
$blob_data = ibase_blob_info($data->BLOB_VALUE);
$blob_hndl = ibase_blob_open($data->BLOB_VALUE);
echo         ibase_blob_get($blob_hndl, $blob_data[0]);
?>

But what is ibase? Is it like mysql_query but for BLOBS?

Why are you trying to store multiple user id's in a blob?  Just store one per row in a normal int column.  As for ibase, it is a different database system.  If your using mysql, you use it's functions not the ibase* functions.

As for working with binary data, you'd use pack and unpack but I believe your approach is incorrect.

I feel like that's less efficient though. I have a table called groups, where each row contains a group id, and all the member of that group in a BLOB.

No, what your proposing is less efficient and harder to use.  Databases are designed to work with tables composed of many rows.  Creating a new row per id is what it will do and handle best.

Think about this, what happens when you decide you want to list out all the members of a group and their details (name, email, phone, whatever you have).

With your method you have to:

- Select the BLOB from the table

- Use PHP to decode the ID's from the table

- Run a second query to get the details for each user

- Display the results

If you do one row per user ID, then all you have to do is

- Run a single query for the details

- Display the results

What if you decide you want to paginate the results because there are a lot of members?  Your method becomes increasingly more complicated and harder to deal with, while one-row-per-user method only has to alter the query to include a LIMIT clause.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.