OOP DateTime extension EASY question

Lodius2000

So I am extending the DateTime class and would like to completely disable the modify() function that is built in so i have this:

<?php
class NewDateTime extends DateTime
{

public function modify()
{
	throw new Exception('modify() has been disabled.');
}
}

thats not the entire class description, just the pertinent part of course

now any time I create a new object from NewDateTime I get this message at the top of the screen:

Strict Standards: Declaration of NewDateTime::modify() should be compatible with that of DateTime::modify() in C:\xampp\htdocs\.....my file path here.....\NewDateTime.php on line 62

what gives? how do I get rid of this and still disable modify()? I'm betting its a setting that i have wonky but I am really rusty in php so dont know where to look in php.ini

I assume that the class implements an interface that defines modify and it's params. try:

public function modify($datetime = false) {
   throw new Exception('modify() has been disabled');
}

?

Andy-H

That worked. just to make sure I understand how it worked (like i said, reeeeeeally rusty at my php): including the false value for $datetime means that modify() must accept some sort of argument, so if you put in an argument it returns false because it is supposed to throw an exception, and if you put no argument, the function returns false, which throws an exception

right?

Far from correct.

Currently the modify() method expects at least one argument. Your overloaded method didn't that is why you where getting the error.

What Andy-H's code does is declares that your modify() also expects an argument, however he has also set a default value for this argument (of false) making it now optional.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.