Unread Messages Gmail

smarcus3

I cant get this to work and I found a host with imap-ssl

here is my code though i've been messing around with it. It cant get the imap_open to work.

$mbox = imap_open ("{imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert/norsh}Inbox", 
"username", "password", OP_READONLY) 
or die("can't connect: " . imap_last_error());

$check = imap_mailboxmsginfo($mbox); 

echo $check->Unread; 
/

Please please help.

Thanks

how about this? (You will need to change the <user_email@gmail.com> to an actual email address without the <> around it)

$mbox = imap_open ("{imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl/authuser=<user_email@gmail.com>}INBOX", "username","password", OP_READONLY) or die ("can't connect: " . imap_last_error());

your /novalidate-cert/norsh switches are for self signed servers, I'm pretty sure google has an authorised certificate or 10 so this isn't needed.

When I use your code I get this error

Warning: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl/authuser=<steven.g.marcus@gmail.com>}INBOX in /home/u332547992/public_html/default.php on line 45
can't connect: Can't connect to gmail-imap.l.google.com,993: Connection timed out

Are you sure your host allows outgoing connections? Try something simple to test it like:

echo file_get_contents("http://google.com");

having read this http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799 and successfully connecting myself as I said in my last post - yeah, we're sure  :P

Did you try that from the same host as the OP, http://powrhost.com ? It's a free host and an "unlimited" one at that, so I don't have much faith in them allowing (or maybe not having the capacity to support) outgoing connections to other servers.

EDIT: to clarify, the error "Connection timed out" doesn't mean he got the login method wrong or anything. It simply means the PHP script tried to connect to that port but after however many second seconds gave up. I mean connect in the most raw form, just like opening a telnet session to port 993 on imap.gmail.com. If you were to do that, you immediately get:

# telnet imap.gmail.com 993
Trying 209.85.225.108...
Connected to gmail-imap.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

But this PHP script couldn't even get that far, so it seems it's something to do with the host.

So not all outgoing connections are blocked, but they probably blocked connections to mail-related ports to prevent spam from being sent using their servers. I just tried it myself using a script I know that works. Sorry, but you'll have to find another host.

I am now using 000webhosting which after talking to their IT they stated they support IMAP_OPEN but I still get the time out error.

I know this has already been talked about on other threads, but do you know of a free host which does allow this. I have tried many now.

$email = 'youremail@gmail.com';
$pass  = 'yourpassword';
$inbox = imap_open('{imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX', $email, $pass, NULL, 1) or die('Cannot connect to Gmail');

$email = 'youremail@gmail.com';
$pass  = 'yourpassword';
$inbox = imap_open('{imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX', $email, $pass, NULL, 1) or die('Cannot connect to Gmail');

That code doesn't work either :( It still times out.

When I use this code ....

$email = 'st********us@gmail.com';
$pass  = '********';
$inbox = imap_open('{imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl}INBOX', $email, $pass, NULL, 1) or die('Cannot connect to Gmail');
[/Code]

I get this error now

[Code]Warning: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {imap.gmail.com:993/imap/ssl}INBOX in /home/a6807236/public_html/default.php on line 56
Cannot connect to Gmail[/Code]

Andy-H, go make an account at powrhost.com and see for yourself. They have port 993 blocked. I ran this and got a timeout:

<?php

error_reporting(-1);
fsockopen("imap.gmail.com", 993, $errorno, $errstr);
echo "$errorno $errstr";

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.