500 Internal Server Error

rohitbanerjee

So I have some php code within an html page (using Apache v2.2, PHP v5.2) that uses MySQLI to connect to a database and fetch some rows from a database. Everything works fine so long as I limit the number of rows fetched, if I try to fetch all the rows, I get a 500 Internal Server Error in my browser.

I am using GoDaddy Hosting -- has anyone encountered this problem/know what the hell is going on?

How many rows are we talking? It's sounds like PHP is running out of memory and throwing the generic server error. If you have access to the error logs you should be able to get the error message, but increasing the memory limit should be enough - see here for directive and use ini_set to change it per request. Don't just whack it up for every request, there's some serious security concerns with increasing the memory. Of course sometimes when dealing with large sets of data it's just not avoidable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.