Noob question.

bgyuk

Hi all i have a silly noob question....

When i directly query my database with the following i get the exact result i want.......

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic=3 AND postSubject=business;

However when i try this using the following PHP.......

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic =" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']) . "AND postSubject='" . $_SESSION[forum] . "'";   

I get no result

I also get the correct results from

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic =" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']) . ";   

and

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postSubject='" . $_SESSION[forum] . "'";   

mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']) is an integer and $_SESSION[forum] is a string.

I know this has something to do with the manner in which the query is passed with the AND and the string but i can't for the life of my work out where i am going wrong.

Thanks for any help.

$_SESSION['forum']

Note the quotes.

Tried it and no joy. However it would not make sense to me if it did work as $_SESSION[forum] is the actual string value.

also

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postSubject='" . $_SESSION[forum] . "'";   

works perfectly

I may be wrong but shouldn't you be getting a parse error with:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic =" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']) . ";

..due the the last double quote 'opening' but not being 'closed'?

I'd imagine

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic =" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']);

..would suffice?

Either way.. Do you actually need the 'AND' in the query, I can't see all your code but it seems redundant.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Shouldn't we always have single quotes wrapped around the value even if it is an integer?

I'd have it:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postTopic ='" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']) . "'";

Btw I know that wasn't releated to the actual issue, just thought I'd ask/mention it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.