Password problem

wut

Having a little problem with passwords, they are stored clear text and not encrypted because its for an assignment and I need to prove in the write up that users can change their passwords.

Anyway when I register a user with a username and a password of say Password1, I can still login with PASSword1 or any other variation of upper and lower case characters!

This is my select statement:

$qry = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' AND password='$password'";

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done to this, I read somewhere about using === but that doesn't seem to be fixing the problem, it just causes the query to fail!

Using MySQL if thats any help.

Thanks

Alternately, you can just check if the passwords are the same using PHP. Setting the charset of your password field as non-ci (case-insensitive) would be ideal though.

<?php

$qry = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' AND password='$password'";
$result = mysql_query($qry);
if( $result == FALSE ) {
echo 'Could not execute query';
} else {
$data = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
if(mysql_num_rows($result) < 1 || $data['password'] != $password ) {
	echo 'Could not find username/password combo.';
} else {
	echo 'Logged in successfully.';
}
}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.