php pagination

chriscloyd

I am trying to do my own pagination script to better learn php i do need some help.. First let me explain my goal, then show you the code I have which is not working.

I have 5 blogs per page;

I have at least 30 blogs in the database for testing purpose;

I want the pagination to go as shown

if you are first viewing the blog no page selected it will show [1] 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page

if you for example choose page three it will show 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last Page

Now what is happening when you click on page 5 or 6 it does First Page... 4 5 [6]

When I would like it to show First Page... 2 3 4 5 [6] or 2 3 4 [5] 6

here is my code

<?php
	//if current page != 1 show first page link
	$Show .= ($this->CurPage != 1 ? "<a href=\"?module=blog&page=1\">First Page</a>... " : "");

//We need the number of start for the for statement
	//We need to check if the number of pages excedes three if it does then make the start minus 2 of the current page
	$Start = (($this->CurPage - 2) >= 1 ? $this->CurPage - 2 : 1);

//We need the end page for the for statement
	$End = (($this->CurPage + 2) <= $this->NumOfPages ? $this->CurPage + 2 : $this->NumOfPages);

//Run End Again to make sure
	$NewEnd = ($End <= 3 && $this->NumOfPages > 5 ? $End + 2 : $End);

//Run Start again to make sure
	$NewStart = ($this->CurPage >= ($this->NumOfPages - 2) ? $Start - 2 : $Start);

for ($i = $NewStart; $i <= $NewEnd; $i++) {

$Show .= ($i == $this->CurPage ? "<a href=\"?module=blog&page={$i}\"><strong>[{$i}]</strong></a> " :"<a href=\"?module=blog&page={$i}\">{$i}</a> " );

}

//If More than one page and you are not on the last page
	$Show .= ($this->CurPage != $this->NumOfPages && $this->NumOfPages > 1  ? " ...<a href=\"?module=blog&page={$this->NumOfPages}\">Last Page</a>" : "");

return $Show;
?>

Chris,

I'm confused how that could be, since you're using a bunch of constants and arithmetic that explain the behavior you are complaining about. 

Let's just focus on this:

$Start = (($this->CurPage - 2) >= 1 ? $this->CurPage - 2 : 1);

Substitute '5' for $this->CurPage, and it's clear that you set $Start to '3'.

I guess, I am lost at what you are asking or helping with.  I am trying to always show 5 Results.  When I am on page one it will only show [1] 2 3 when I am on page 6 it will only show 4 5 [6].  So I guess I must just be completely confused or what.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.