need help with session and storing id in cookie

The14thGOD

I don't know why but I'm failing hard at GoogleFu today. I can't find a tutorial on how to store a session id in a cookie and then call it on the server. session_id says it replaces the cookie it makes if you set the id via session_id, even if it's the same id...but I'm not sure if that really matters.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to a good tutorial/give me some insight on this subject? I want to store the session id in a cookie to keep a user logged in for 2 weeks or so (unless they log out of course).

I did find some tutorials on how to re-route the session handlers for open/close/read/write session functions which allow me to store the session in a database. Is this what I want?

Sorry for the newbie question,

Thanks,

Justin

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.