Need some feedback on beginner PHP

RORJACK

What makes you think it is outdated? I just paged through to at least the 'switch' statement page and the only thing mentioned up to that point that should not have been is that there is a short opening php tag (which did state that it must be enabled in order to be used.) Our advice is to never use the short opening php tag.

edit; I'm up to the magic_quotes page and the only thing so far is it mentioning php6. That information should state it apples to php5.4

edit2: It should probably mention testing for upload errors on the upload page. Actually, any basic programming tutorial should mention, up front, the need to test for possible errors at each step in the process so that you don't blindly attempt to use non-existent data and trigger follow-on errors.

thanks guys,

I can't find the specific tutorial I was using on that site, but $PHP_SELF was giving me trouble, but then replaced it with:

$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']

which seemed to be a newer type of syntax.

Also it kept having me put in semicolons before <b/>, which just showed up on the localhost webpage and didn't seem to perform any real function.

In any case, I think I'm just grasping at straws here as I start out. Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on Lynda.com?

I don't think you found a $PHP_SELF on that site, but yes, that would be an old and out of date feature. The setting that causes $PHP_SELF to exist was depreciated and turned off by default in php4.2 in April of 2002, throws a depreciated error when turned on in php5.3 (which is when the depreciated error type was added), and has been completely removed in php5.4.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.