chained dropdowns

Karyna

hi everyone

i have a question i tought was easy but im having some problems i have 3 dropdowns menus the customer select one category from one of them.. let say "pets" the the other dropdown must be filled with pets (dogs, cats, parrots...) if the customer select dogs the 3rd dropdown must filled with (doberman, bulldog,chihuhaua, etc) i think u got the idea.. but im having trouble with the 2nd and 3rd dropdown... any ideas:::

tnx in advncd

Sounds like something you could do with javascript/jquery/ajax.  I'm not sure if that is possible with just PHP though.  Unless they select the first dropdown and hit a submit button, but that would be cumbersome for the user.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mike

It can be done with submission using 

<select name="pets" onchange="this.form.submit()">

if all processing is done on the same page.  All posed values are echoed back to the form.  You then add

if (isset($_POST['pets'])){
//Show subcat selection
}

Then Again for the subcat post.

You'll need to name you "submit" button so full processing is only done when the button is clicked.  I've done this type of multi selections on a number of sites and it's worked well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.