Replacing every * letter from a string

NLT

I want to be able to replace, let's say, every fifth letter from a string.

The string is unknown, though, it could come from database, or a POST form. So I'm unsure if I could use str_replace.

I think I may need to use preg_replace(), but I'm not not sure.

No, you could not solve that using just str_replace(). You *may* be able to use preg_replace().

But, you need to clarify your requirement. Are yu wanting to replace every fifth LETTER or every fifth CHARACTER? There is a bug difference. The former is definitely more difficult. You can accomplish the latter with

$replaced = preg_replace("#(.{4}).#", '${1}X', $input);

I tried the code you gave me but it replaced EVERY fifth, I just want the fifth only.

Yeah, that's right. The code I provided replaces EVERY fifth letter because that is EXACTLY what you requested.

I guess I was supposed to assume you wanted something different than what you asked for?

If this is not what you want I hope someone else is willing to help you because I won't

$newstring = substr_replace($input, 'X', 4, 0);

I tried the code you gave me but it replaced EVERY fifth, I just want the fifth only.

Yeah, that's right. The code I provided replaces EVERY fifth letter because that is EXACTLY what you requested.

I guess I was supposed to assume you wanted something different than what you asked for?

If this is not what you want I hope someone else is willing to help you because I won't

$newstring = substr_replace($input, 'X', 4, 0);

Thanks, I'm sorry for wording the thread wrong.. was that attitude necessary?

We're volunteers, most of us professionals, giving our free time to help beginners 'cause we were all there once.

If you want to ask for help, it's a good idea to be accurate in, think about, and proof read your questions/responses.

When you don't care enough about your question to ask it properly, we feel you've wasted our time. Even in your reply, you still didn't realize he had given you exactly what you'd asked for.

The reply was maybe a little harsh. But that said, he gave you what you asked for, and you didn't even say thanks.

I thought I worded the thread right until it got pointed out I got gave what I ask for, and I apologized for that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.