how to link external files with php

tim@getdim

I know basically nothing about PHP but i have a few websites i manage that are built with PHP.

I plan to learn PHP but for the time being learning Javascript has a wider range of usability for me.

That being said,

Im trying to link to an XML sitemap using php.

in html i would use

<link href="sitemap.xml" />

how can i do this in PHP?

I have searched google and such for how to do this but was unable to find an explanation that i could understand as relating to my need.

I hope you wouldn't do that, as that's not valid html. The HTML for a link is

<a href="url.etx">Link Text</a>

. I don't know XML so I don't know if you're accidentally doing XML and calling it HTML.

That said, PHP can print HTML, or you can include raw HTML in php. You can't find out how to do it because you're asking the wrong question.

<?php
echo '<b>This is bold text</b>';
?>
or
<?php
//Your php code here
?>
<b>This is my bold html</b>
<?php
//more php in here
?>

Actually its perfectly valid HTML - its the same way you link a stylesheet.

It works perfectly fine in every other site ive used it in.

I actually just figured out what my problem was.

i had tried to use raw html outside the

<?php

tag but it was causing error messages when i uploaded the file.

turns out i had the wrong file. the site in question is using the MODx CMS which i am not familiar with - but after searching through the file structure for a while i was able to find the file that was generating the html for the index page. once i put in my html code there right underneath the stylesheet links, it worked perfectly fine.

Thanks for your time, though. Sorry it turned out to be unneeded.

The way it was worded it sounded like a link in the body, not linking a document in the head. I see what you're talking about now.

Everything I've read says <link> is not heavily supported for anything other than stylesheets, but if it is working for you then go ahead.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.