php page load time

blakesmoore

Thanks for this Dan,

will this tell me how long it takes to load any site that i replace 'http://www.yourURL.com/page.html' with?

Yes, it should do.

You could even add a function you could use with a form rather than editing the PHP file all the time.

<?PHP
function websitetime($website)
{
$start = microtime(true);
file_get_contents($website);
echo "Page loaded in: ". number_format(microtime(true)-$start,2) . " seconds.<br />";
}

if(isset($_POST['submit']) && $_POST['website'])
{
$website = $_POST['website'];
websitetime($website);
}
?>

<form method="post">
<input type="submit" value="Submit" name="submit" />
</form>

Should work, I haven't tested it though.

the pingdom test also fetches external javascript and images.  If you want to find the complete load time of a site and all its assets, it will be a significantly longer script.  Many sites these days also draw a portion of their interface in javascript, which is even more difficult to time properly.

The 3 line thing I gave you checks exactly what was asked for: The "load time" of an external script.  It measures the amount of time it takes for the script to execute and finish giving output.

The pingdom test does that, and then parses the output to see if it's HTML.  If it is, it fetches images, javascript, and CSS as well, probably in parallel. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.