Can't dynamically create images

goterpsgo

We recently migrated over to a new AMP platform that I built from source and now we can't dynamically generate images.  It seems like GD is properly included into PHP (although I didn't know then I could do it using dynamic modules):

My PHP configure is as follows:

==================================================

'./configure' '--prefix=/export/appl/pkgs/php/v5.3.9' '--with-apxs2=/export/appl/pkgs/httpd/latest/bin/apxs' '--with-mysql=/export/appl/pkgs/mysql/latest' '--with-mysqli=/export/appl/pkgs/mysql/latest/bin/mysql_config' '--with-gd=/export/appl/pkgs/libgd/latest' '--with-pear' '--with-png-dir=/export/appl/pkgs/libpng/latest' '--with-jpeg-dir=/export/appl/pkgs/jpeg/latest' '--with-curl=/export/appl/pkgs/curl/latest' '--with-freetype-dir=/export/appl/pkgs/freetype/latest' '--with-mhash=/export/appl/pkgs/mhash/latest' '--with-mcrypt=/export/appl/pkgs/libmcrypt/latest' '--enable-pcntl' '--enable-soap' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-zlib-dir=/export/appl/zlib/v1.2.5' '--with-ldap'

The GD section in phpinfo is as follows:

GD Support enabled

GD Version 2.0

FreeType Support enabled

FreeType Linkage with freetype

FreeType Version 2.4.6

GIF Read Support enabled

GIF Create Support enabled

JPEG Support enabled

libJPEG Version unknown

PNG Support enabled

libPNG Version 1.5.5

WBMP Support enabled

Directive Local Value Master Value

gd.jpeg_ignore_warning 0 0

I get broken image icons in IE and Chrome, and I get an "image cannot be displayed" msg in FF.

I'd appreciate someone clubbing me with a cluestick.

- Joe

18332_.php

When you browse directly to the URL of the shapeimage0.php dynamic image file and do a 'view source' in your browser, what do you get?

It's completely blank.  I forgot to mention that when I used the same file on a yum-managed platform, the image appears as designed.

When you browse directly to the URL of the shapeimage0.php dynamic image file and do a 'view source' in your browser, what do you get?

It's completely blank.  I forgot to mention that when I used the same file on a yum-managed platform, the image appears as designed.

That's it; ignore my post because I don't have a green badge under my name...

24w6lad.jpg

Is the posted code all the relevant code in that file? There's a user function call in it that doesn't exist in the posted code, implying you are including a file into that code or there's more to the actual code that could be causing a fatal parse error.

Also, temporarily comment out the content header statement (if php's output_buffering is on, you won't see any php produced error messages that are generated prior to the header statement.)

Is the posted code all the relevant code in that file? There's a user function call in it that doesn't exist in the posted code, implying you are including a file into that code or there's more to the actual code that could be causing a fatal parse error.

Also, temporarily comment out the content header statement (if php's output_buffering is on, you won't see any php produced error messages that are generated prior to the header statement.)

That function was my attempt to redirect STDERR to a file so I can see it; it didn't show anything of use.  Here's the code I've been looking at:

<?php
  error_reporting(E_ALL); 
  ini_set("display_errors", 1);
  // $im = @ImageCreate(150, 150) or die("Could not create image");
  $im = @ImageCreate(150, 150);
  $bg_color = ImageColorAllocate($im, 240, 240, 240);
  // $text_color = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0, 0, 0);
  // ImageRectangle($im, 40, 40, 140, 140, $text_color);
  // ImageString($im, 3, 5, 5, "Square", $text_color);
  // header("content-type: image/png");
  ImagePng($im);
  ImageDestroy($im);
?>

I commented out the header statement and also changed it to "text/plain" - it looks like there's absolutely no content being generated.

You need to get the @ error suppressor out of your code (forever - there's no need to ever put them in code. On a development system you want to see all php detected the errors, on a live server you want to log php detected errors.)

Can you echo a string in that file and see the string when you browse directly to that file?

Are the error_reporting/ini_set statements enabled on your server?

Fatal errors are 'thrown' before any functions are executed, so turning on error reporting within the script can still lead you a blank page. You have to set these in your php.ini, and restart the server.

The pertinent values in my php.ini are as follows:

error_reporting  =  E_ALL | E_STRICT

display_errors = On

When I echo text content after what was supposed to be image data, I get nothing but my test echo.  Here's my code:

<?php
  error_reporting(-1); 
  ini_set('display_errors', 1);
  $im = ImageCreate(150, 150);
  header("content-type: text/plain");
  ImagePng($im);
  ImageDestroy($im);
  echo "foo";
?>

How about echoing a non-existent variable to see if errors are actually being reported/displayed.

Your content header text/plain causes a prompt to download the .php file on my server. As already suggested, comment out the header() statement, in case output buffing is turned on.

Is there anything else that doesn't work as expected on this server?

The server/stack seems to behave itself otherwise.

It's displaying errors properly...

<?php
  error_reporting(-1); 
  $im = ImageCreate(150, 150);
  // header("content-type: text/plain");
  ImagePng($im);
  ImageDestroy($im);
  echo "foo";
  echo $foo;
?>

Since there are no errors occurring at the gd function calls, either they are outputting something and it is getting eaten or they are not actually doing anything.

How about setting the parameters in the ImageCreate() to an incorrect number of parameters to see if you can trigger an error at the ImageCreate() statement.

What does the phpinfo output show for the the  zlib.output_compression setting? You typically need to turn off compression when dynamically outputting images (though I would expect there to be some kind of output reaching the browser, even if this setting is on and with no content-type header.)

Next, I would start examining the response data/headers/content that is actually being output to the browser, using a tool like firebug.

Finally getting something...

<?php
  error_reporting(-1); 
  $im = ImageCreate(150, 150, 150);
  ImagePng($im);
  ImageDestroy($im);
?>

Warning: imagecreate() expects exactly 2 parameters, 3 given in /export/appl/pkgs/httpd/v2.2.21/htdocs/opensys/dsy_ops/dci/assets/Layout/shapeimage0.php on line 5

Warning: imagecolorallocate() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /export/appl/pkgs/httpd/v2.2.21/htdocs/opensys/dsy_ops/dci/assets/Layout/shapeimage0.php on line 6

Warning: imagepng() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /export/appl/pkgs/httpd/v2.2.21/htdocs/opensys/dsy_ops/dci/assets/Layout/shapeimage0.php on line 12

Warning: imagedestroy() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /export/appl/pkgs/httpd/v2.2.21/htdocs/opensys/dsy_ops/dci/assets/Layout/shapeimage0.php on line 13

Directive Local Value Master Value

zlib.output_compression Off Off

When I remove the invalid configuration for ImageCreate, and use FB to look at the header responses, I get *nothing* for content.  I wonder if PHP is actually OK and our culprit is actually GD.

^^^ That was due to a suggestion to try and trigger errors to see if the gd functions were doing anything.

What were the content type/content length.. headers in firebug? You looking at the information does us no good in helping you find what the problem is if you don't share what you saw. I got the following when I tried your code -

Cache-Control	no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
Connection	Keep-Alive
Content-Length	98
Content-Type	image/png
Date	Fri, 11 May 2012 18:59:26 GMT
Keep-Alive	timeout=5, max=100
Pragma	no-cache
Server	Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.10
X-Powered-By	PHP/5.3.10

I looked previously but I thought the server was returning nothing.  I just found the response headers; I'll include everything just in case:

Response Headers

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Encoding: gzip
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 19:27:49 GMT
P3P: CP="NON CUR OTPi OUR NOR UNI"
x-old-content-length: 0
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.9

Request Headers

GET /dsy/dsy_ops/dci/assets/Layout/shapeimage0.php HTTP/1.1
Host: home2dev.xxx.xxx
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: wta_trp2=12459F6A193BBF5B; PD-S-SESSION-ID=2_1_EU4SUkwIgyVU61XR3jZ81BLm7cEm-85kLM5pRV3w3xKcJs2b
X-ClickOnceSupport: ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)
Cache-Control: max-age=0

x-old-content-length: 0

I've never seen that before, but in general the x- headers indicate the response went through a proxy or forwarding of some kind ...

Do you have some server based hotlink protection or similar that looks at the content-type in the response and perhaps forwards to a empty page when the http referrer doesn't match the site?

Yeah mgmt insists we use Tivoli Access Manager for SSO for all our apps.  Here's the header for the non-TAM-modified content:

Response Headers
Date	Mon, 14 May 2012 13:41:21 GMT
Server	Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) PHP/5.3.9 mod_perl/2.0.6 Perl/v5.14.2
x-powered-by	PHP/5.3.9
Content-Length	0
Content-Type	text/html

Request Headers
Host	didsy11.xxx.xxx:8090
User-Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
Accept	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language	en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding	gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Connection	keep-alive
Cookie	pma_lang=en; pma_theme=original; pma_collation_connection=utf8_general_ci; wta_trp2=12459F6A193BBF5B; pma_navi_width=200; phpMyAdmin=a5nepdffqr00ug5kmto781rps5fl3me7
X-ClickOnceSupport	( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)

I'm still returning squat for content.

I'm wondering if my GD is somehow not installed correctly  If not, I wonder how I can verify that.  I saw there was a small tool called fly that could have done that, but it won't compile under Solaris 10.

I was going through the blurbs from the gd site (http://www.boutell.com/gd/) and I saw this:

If you are anything other than C programmer gd is probably included with your system or available with a single package manager command. If you're compiling stuff, you're doin' it wrong.

php 4.3.x is available, and it includes a version of gd as "standard equipment." php_gd2.dll is included in a standard PHP installation for Windows, it's just not enabled by default.

So I wonder if (aside from compiling from source) I did it all wrong and didn't need to use a reference to an external GD library for compiling PHP?

OK I got it!!!  Someone might say it's a matter of not reading instructions but it's so obscure...

It turns out I needed to use the GD that's already included in the PHP source code (I didn't think it was included).  I'd just use

--with-gd=shared

and not provide an explicit path to a GD install.  (Then I'd include "extension=gd.so" in php.ini to use that module.)

I hope my suffering helps others...

- Joe

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.