I have two pages - add_product.php and show.php

here is the code for add_product.php

<?php

ini_set('display_errors',1);
error_reporting(-1);

require_once ('./includes/config.inc.php');

require_once (MYSQL);

$add_cat_errors = array();

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST')
{
// Check for a name:
if (empty($_POST['product'])) {
	$add_cat_errors['product'] = 'Please enter the name!';
}

// Check for a description:
if (empty($_POST['prod_descr'])) {
	$add_cat_errors['prod_descr'] = 'Please enter the description!';
}

// Check for a category:
if (!isset($_POST['cat']) || !filter_var($_POST['cat'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['cat'] = 'Please select a category!';
}

// Check for a price:
if (empty($_POST['price']) || !filter_var($_POST['price'], FILTER_VALIDATE_FLOAT) || ($_POST['price'] <= 0)) {
	$add_cat_errors['price'] = 'Please enter a valid price!';
}

// Check for a category:
if (!isset($_POST['directory']) || !filter_var($_POST['directory'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['directory'] = 'Please select a directory!';
}

// Check for a stock:
if (empty($_POST['stock']) || !filter_var($_POST['stock'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['stock'] = 'Please enter the quantity in stock!';
}

if (empty($add_cat_errors))
{
$query = "INSERT INTO product (product, prod_descr, catID, price, dirID, stock) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";
	// Prepare the statement:
$stmt = mysqli_prepare($dbc, $query);
// For debugging purposes:
	// if (!$stmt) echo mysqli_stmt_error($stmt);

// Bind the variables:
mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 'sssssi', $name, $desc, $_POST['cat'], $_POST['price'], $_POST['directory'], $_POST['stock']);

// Make the extra variable associations:
	$name = strip_tags($_POST['product']);
	$desc = strip_tags($_POST['prod_descr']);
	// Execute the query:
	mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);

if (mysqli_stmt_affected_rows($stmt) == 1) { // If it ran OK.

// Print a message:
		echo '<h4>The product has been added!</h4>';

// Clear $_POST:
		$_POST = array();

// Clear $_FILES:
		$_FILES = array();

} else { // If it did not run OK.
		trigger_error('The product could not be added due to a system error. We apologize for any inconvenience.');
	}

} // End of $errors IF.

} else { // Clear out the session on a GET request:
} // End of the submission IF.

require_once ('./includes/form_functions.inc.php');
?>

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="add_image.php?prodID={$row['prodID']}" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8">

<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="524288" />

Product<br /><?php create_form_input('product', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Description<br /><?php create_form_input('prod_descr', 'textarea', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Category<br /><select name="cat"<?php if (array_key_exists('cat', $add_cat_errors)); ?>>
		<option>Select One</option>
		<?php // Retrieve all the categories and add to the pull-down menu:
		$q = 'SELECT catID, cat FROM category ORDER BY cat ASC';		
		$r = mysqli_query ($dbc, $q);
			while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array ($r, MYSQLI_NUM)) {
				echo "<option value=\"$row[0]\"";
				// Check for stickyness:
				if (isset($_POST['cat']) && ($_POST['cat'] == $row[0]) ) echo ' selected="selected"';
				echo ">$row[1]</option>\n";
			}
		?>
		</select><?php if (array_key_exists('cat', $add_cat_errors)) echo $add_cat_errors['cat']; ?>

Price<br /><?php create_form_input('price', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Directory<br /><select name="directory"<?php if (array_key_exists('directory', $add_cat_errors)); ?>>
		$q = 'SELECT dirID, directory FROM directory ORDER BY directory ASC';		
				// Check for stickyness:
				if (isset($_POST['directory']) && ($_POST['directory'] == $row[0]) ) echo ' selected="selected"';
			}
		?>
		</select><?php if (array_key_exists('directory', $add_cat_errors)) echo $add_cat_errors['directory']; ?>
</select>

<br />

Stock<br /><?php create_form_input('stock', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

<input type="submit" value="Add This Product" class="button" />

</fieldset>

</form> 

and here is the code for show.php

<?php

error_reporting(-1);

require_once (MYSQL);

if($id = isset($_GET['prodID']))
{
$q = "SELECT `prodID`, `product`, `prod_descr`, `catID`, `dirID`, `price`, `stock` FROM product WHERE `prodID`='{$_GET['prodID']}'";
$r = mysqli_query($dbc, $q);
while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($r))
{
echo $row['product'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['prod_descr'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['catID'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row ['dirID'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['price'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['stock'];
}
}

What I want is to try and retrieve the id of the last record inserted in add_product and pass it into show.php, but I get this error message.

An error occurred in script 'C:\Users\David Morgan\Desktop\WEBSITES\hairz_&_graces\site\admin\add_image.php' on line 16:

mysqli_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given

I am struggling to find out where I am going wrong at the moment, if anyone could please help me that would be really appreciated.

1)  Add.php doesn't contain the text "show.php," so I don't see where it's forwarding at all.  All I see is add_image.php

2)  The error on show.php means your query is wrong, echo mysql_error() to get the actual mysql error message.

3)  Josh was right about your IF statement being wrong.

4)  This line refers to $row but $row is not available at that time.  Again, answering Josh's question would have fixed this:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="add_image.php?prodID={$row['prodID']}" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8">

You are most likely not getting the variable that was pointed out in your first reply.

1)  Add.php doesn't contain the text "show.php," so I don't see where it's forwarding at all.  All I see is add_image.php

2)  The error on show.php means your query is wrong, echo mysql_error() to get the actual mysql error message.

3)  Josh was right about your IF statement being wrong.

4)  This line refers to $row but $row is not available at that time.  Again, answering Josh's question would have fixed this:

You are most likely not getting the variable that was pointed out in your first reply.

1. My own mistake, the name of the file being redirected is actually add_image.php not show.php which I soon realised. But they both have the same code regardless.

2. Believe or not, I have often chosen not to use mysqli_error() on much of my code, so should I implement a or die(mysqli_error()) after line 16 on add_image.php (what I originally stated as show.php).

3. Should I just remove the IF statement, as I tried that (I think I misunderstood what he meant in his post)?

4. My querystring, I guess I would have to remove the $row from it but if I plan to use mysql_insert_id(), what two parameters should I use inside it and then, how would I be able to retrieve that using the querystring from the form action URL?

2. Believe or not, I have often chosen not to use mysqli_error() on much of my code, so should I implement a or die(mysqli_error()) after line 16 on add_image.php (what I originally stated as show.php).

Do that at least for the time being, I bet your query is wrong.  What you  should be doing is something more like:

$result = mysql_query($sql);
if ( !$result ) {
  echo "Error with MySQL query:<br /><i>{$sql}</i><br />MySQL returned: " . mysql_error() . "<P />";
}

3. Should I just remove the IF statement, as I tried that (I think I misunderstood what he meant in his post)?

Your IF statement is an assignment.  You need simply if ( isset($thevar) )

4. My querystring, I guess I would have to remove the $row from it but if I plan to use mysql_insert_id(), what two parameters should I use inside it and then, how would I be able to retrieve that using the querystring from the form action URL?

This response doesn't make much sense, but what I'm saying here is you use $row in the URL for the form, but $row doesn't exist.  You're printing a form with an action of "add_image.php?prodID=".  I think that's the cause of your whole issue.  You insert a row above where you print the form.  Use msyql_insert_id to fetch the inserted ID, and use that in your form.

after the $r variable

^^^ Since your INSERT query posted in this thread is using a mysqli prepared statement and there's no $r variable present in that specific code, it would probably be a good idea to post your current code. I suspect you are trying to get the last insert id someplace other than immediately after the INSERT query was executed (that's the only place it is available.)

Following PFMaBiSmAd's advice, I have applied the mysqli_insert_id() statement after my insert query statement, but whilst it writes perfectly fine to the database, I now would like if is possible to direct to add_image.php and retrieve the ID of the last record inserted. here is my code at present;

<?php

error_reporting(-1);

require_once (MYSQL);

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST')
{
// Check for a name:
if (empty($_POST['product'])) {
	$add_cat_errors['product'] = 'Please enter the name!';
}

// Check for a description:
if (empty($_POST['prod_descr'])) {
	$add_cat_errors['prod_descr'] = 'Please enter the description!';
}

// Check for a category:
if (!isset($_POST['cat']) || !filter_var($_POST['cat'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['cat'] = 'Please select a category!';
}

// Check for a price:
if (empty($_POST['price']) || !filter_var($_POST['price'], FILTER_VALIDATE_FLOAT) || ($_POST['price'] <= 0)) {
	$add_cat_errors['price'] = 'Please enter a valid price!';
}

// Check for a category:
if (!isset($_POST['directory']) || !filter_var($_POST['directory'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['directory'] = 'Please select a directory!';
}

// Check for a stock:
if (empty($_POST['stock']) || !filter_var($_POST['stock'], FILTER_VALIDATE_INT, array('min_range' => 1))) {
	$add_cat_errors['stock'] = 'Please enter the quantity in stock!';
}

if (empty($add_cat_errors))
{
$query = "INSERT INTO product (product, prod_descr, catID, price, dirID, stock) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";
	// Prepare the statement:
$stmt = mysqli_prepare($dbc, $query);
// $id = mysqli_insert_id($dbc, $query);
// For debugging purposes:

//if (!$stmt) echo mysqli_stmt_error($stmt);

// Bind the variables:
mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 'sssssi', $name, $desc, $_POST['cat'], $_POST['price'], $_POST['directory'], $_POST['stock']);

$last_id = mysqli_stmt_insert_id($stmt);

$last_id = mysqli_insert_id($dbc);

// Make the extra variable associations:
	$name = strip_tags($_POST['product']);
	$desc = strip_tags($_POST['prod_descr']);
	// Execute the query:
	mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);

if (mysqli_stmt_affected_rows($stmt) == 1) { // If it ran OK.

// Print a message:
		echo '<h4>The product has been added!</h4>';

// Clear $_POST:
		$_POST = array();

// Clear $_FILES:
		$_FILES = array();

} else { // If it did not run OK.
		trigger_error('The product could not be added due to a system error. We apologize for any inconvenience.');
	}

} // End of $errors IF.

} else { // Clear out the session on a GET request:
} // End of the submission IF.

require_once ('./includes/form_functions.inc.php');
?>

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="add_product2.php" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8">

<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="524288" />

Product<br /><?php create_form_input('product', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Description<br /><?php create_form_input('prod_descr', 'textarea', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Category<br /><select name="cat"<?php if (array_key_exists('cat', $add_cat_errors)); ?>>
		$q = 'SELECT catID, cat FROM category ORDER BY cat ASC';		
				// Check for stickyness:
				if (isset($_POST['cat']) && ($_POST['cat'] == $row[0]) ) echo ' selected="selected"';
			}
		?>
		</select><?php if (array_key_exists('cat', $add_cat_errors)) echo $add_cat_errors['cat']; ?>

Price<br /><?php create_form_input('price', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

Directory<br /><select name="directory"<?php if (array_key_exists('directory', $add_cat_errors)); ?>>
		$q = 'SELECT dirID, directory FROM directory ORDER BY directory ASC';		
				// Check for stickyness:
				if (isset($_POST['directory']) && ($_POST['directory'] == $row[0]) ) echo ' selected="selected"';
			}
		?>
		</select><?php if (array_key_exists('directory', $add_cat_errors)) echo $add_cat_errors['directory']; ?>
</select>

<br />

Stock<br /><?php create_form_input('stock', 'text', $add_cat_errors); ?>

<input type="submit" value="Add This Product" class="button" />

</fieldset>

</form> 

however, I have tried using this querystring in my form

<form action="add_image.php?prodID=$lastid method="post">

but it does not output the product ID. also I did contemplate using headers (to redirect) butI thought it was not a good idea especially since I am writing and posting data from a HTML form.

also, here is my add_image.php code at present (the page which should then be redirected to upon submission)

<?php

error_reporting(-1);

require_once (MYSQL);

if($id = isset($_GET['prodID']))
{
$q = "SELECT `prodID`, `product`, `prod_descr`, `catID`, `dirID`, `price`, `stock` FROM product WHERE `prodID`='{$_GET['prodID']}'";
$r = mysqli_query($dbc, $q);
$id = mysqli_insert_id($dbc);
if (!$r) {
  echo "Error with MySQL query:<br /><i>{$sql}</i><br />MySQL returned: " . mysql_error() . "<P />";
}
while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($r))
{
echo $row['product'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['prod_descr'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['catID'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row ['dirID'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['price'];
echo "<br />";
echo $row['stock'];
}
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.