making upload form, file not uploading. HELP!!

m1k3yb0y

I have been spending the majority of this week figuring out why my files are not showing up at my upload location that I set up in my newly created simple upload form. It just seems like php doesn't like me at all. :'( Here is what my code looks like below.

<?php 
if (move_uploaded_file($_FILES['thefile']['name'], $upload_file))
$destination = "/www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/";
$upload_file = $destination . basename($_FILES['thefile']['name']);{
echo "Your file has been uploaded successfully!";
}/* else {
  echo "Your file did not upload successfully. Check to make sure your file meets the requirements and then try again.";
  print_r($_FILES);}*/?>

I have the orange marked areas commented out due to the unexpected T_ELSE error thing. What do I do to get my files to show up at my upload location when I use my upload form? Thanks!

First and foremost, add this to the beginning of your script so you can see the errors

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set("display_errors", 1); 

Then try this as a fix:

$destination = "/www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/";
// move_uploaded_file accepts a filename string and destination string and if you're uploading it from a form, you'll use tmp_name
if (move_uploaded_file($_FILES['thefile']['tmp_name'], $destination) === false) { // returns a bool value
    // your error handling here
} else {
    // your success handling here
}

Alrighty guys, now that my weekend is over, I went and tried out your suggestions. First off DevilsAdvocate, my hosting does not allow access to the php.ini file as well as that function due to security. And the adjustments you made to my code, it worked great! :thumb-up: I saw my uploaded file at my destination! However, I attempted to see if it would upload to my uploads folder that I have in the same folder as my uploaded file. Well....no luck thanks to this:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/Uploads/pho_gallery_MX5_ext1.jpg) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/processfiles.php on line 4

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/phpEmKcaP' to '/www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/Uploads/pho_gallery_MX5_ext1.jpg' in /www/zymichost.com/m/t/l/mtlproductions/htdocs/processfiles.php on line 4

Is there a reason for that?

Proteu, how do you CHMOD the directory?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.