fgets(STDIN) not working

gschimek

I've been doing some limited PHP coding for a while, but never really had any training, just learned by searching for specific needs.  So I decided to get a book and start from the beginning to see what else PHP can do that I don't know about.

Problem is that I can't even get past the first simple program in the book.  I'm just supposed to take input from the user and save it to a variable with this line of code:

$name = fgets(STDIN);

But when I access that page on my webserver, I get this error:

Warning: fgets() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /Users/username/Sites/sitename/index.php

There's got to be something simple I'm missing, since this is the easiest task in the book.  :)  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.