Template system

NLT

I've created a template system.

I've got a function to assign a page (the templates are in /template/skin).

It all works fine in the main root, but if I had a directory it won't work.

$dir = "template/skin";

That is found in template/

I need to be able to assign the template even in directories.

Try defining the path from the root of the site by including a forward slash at the beginning. Otherwise, without it, you are defining it relative from the current working directory.

$dir = "/template/skin";

Warning: file_get_contents(/template/skin/404.tpl) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Although if I type /template/skin/404.tpl with the document I'm on (no index.php etc) then it downloads a tpl file.

You never stated you were using file_get_contents()! That would use the file system directory structure and not the web directory structure. I don't know why you would be using file_get_contents() instead of an include() anyway.

As stated, file_get_contents() is based upon the file system directory, not the web directory. I would suggest using a config file that is loaded on every page that includes a variable to the location of the templates folder.

Would something like this work in configuration.php (as it's called every file, and in root):

$template->SetDir("/template/skin");

and then in the template:

public $dir; 
function SetDir($dir)
{
   $this->dir = $dir;
}

Then replace everything with that?

As I said, that path is a relative path. That means it is relative from the current working directory. The workign directory is different based upon which file is being run. You need the path to be hard coded from the root of the file path, e.g. c:\some_directory\another_directory\. But, if you are on a shared host, I have no idea what it would look like.

But, if you are on a shared host, I have no idea what it would look like.

One quick way to find out is when you have error reporting on and try to include a file that doesn't exist, it will tell you where it tried to look. There's your path.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.