Query two tables

ultra_magnotron

I need to query two separate tables in a database, but not just display data. The data needs to correspond to one another... if that makes sense.

Let's say one table has the name of a person. The other table has all the data for this person, so I need to query the name from one and then display the info on that person from another. I have it set up so that a list of names now displays on my site, so all of the info for these names needs to be displayed in that same list.

Am I making sense? Is this something that can be done in PHP? If so, how can I even get started on this?

heres an example:

SELECT details.* FROM Person INNER JOIN details USING(user_id) WHERE Person.user_id = 123

In plain english you are saying select everything from the details table where the user_id stored in the details table matches the one in the person table ADN where the persons user_id equals 123

heres an example:

SELECT details.* FROM Person INNER JOIN details USING(user_id) WHERE Person.user_id = 123

In plain english you are saying select everything from the details table where the user_id stored in the details table matches the one in the person table ADN where the persons user_id equals 123

Thank you for replying.

If I understand correctly, "details.*" is going to the name of the table where all of the details are stored and then using the user_id is how the details will be selected to correspond to the correct person in this list?

I just want to be clear because there will be a many different people and details to be listed. I don't want to get information mixed up in the query results.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.