Need a little direction.

Shockhazard30

I have not coded much for a while, and when I did it was minimal. I played with PHP5 and MySQL a little, but that was a couple of years ago. The last website I built was in 2004 and it was tables upon tables in html. I am starting to learn all over again, can anyone recommend a good starting place or book for what might as well be a beginner.

Thanks

Bill

I've always had the PHP5 and MySQL Bible as a good companion and a great book to reference back to. Similarly Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache All in One, Fifth Edition has also been a great help among many other textbooks out there.

However you can't go past online articles and tutorials which in some cases are more recent, up-to-date and show a solution to a problem in ways that dated textbooks don't. Always refer back to the PHP Manual, I'd have to say that's the greatest help of all when it comes to PHP.

There's several tutorials right here at PHP Freaks for the more popular problems/scripts, and if you search these forums(especially the PHP Coding Help subforum) you will almost certainly find answers to majority of PHP problems/issues you may encounter.

Here's a PHP Cheat Sheet that is a handy reference and a MySQL Cheat Sheet.

Remember there's thousands of tutorials online, just a matter of googling for them. Just be careful, some are of poor quality.

Good luck and if you run into any issues come back here and create a thread!

Kind Regards,

Ace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.